Surya Namaskar has a good effect on almost all parts of the body. There are many benefits of Surya Namaskar. If you start your daily routine with this, then you can enjoy life to the fullest while keeping distance from various diseases. It is enough to do Surya Namaskar for 5 to 10 minutes. Better if done in front of the sun. If Surya Namaskar is done five to twelve times a day, then there is no need to do any other asana.
If you are a fitness freak and want to know more about yoga poses, then you can join a 200 Hour Yoga teacher Training.
Learn how to do Surya Namaskar:
- Standing up, join the heels. Leave the claws open. Keep both the hands straight along the thighs. Then, make the posture of Namaskar. Elbows along the body, palms slightly slanted and thumbs on the diaphragm below the heart. The meditation should be on the Agya Chakra (between the two eyebrows).
- Take both the hands above the head and stretch them with a breath. The arms are adjacent to the ears, palms facing in front. Now move the hands behind the neck in such a way that the arms remain in line with the ears. Stay in this position for some time. The focus should be on the Vishuddhi Chakra (throat).
- Bringing the hands back up, slowly bend forward while exhaling. Move the hands right and left. Place the palms on the ground, but keep the knees straight. Place the head on the knee. The focus should be on Manipura Chakra (navel).
- While inhaling, take the right leg back. Keep the knees straight and above the ground. Place the knee of the left leg with the chest such that the part from the toes to the knee should remain at 90 degrees. The focus should be on the Swadhisthana Chakra (Pedu).
- Take the left leg back as well. Let the heels of both the feet touch the ground and raise the waist. Keep the head down, touch the chin to the throat and stay in this position for some time. The focus should be on the Sahasrara Chakra (Peak).
- Bring the body parallel to the earth. Full pressure should be on the toes and palms. Now let the knee and forehead touch the ground. The navel should be a few inches above the ground and the elbows should be erect. Stay in this state for some time. The focus should be on the Anahata Chakra (heart).
- Slightly moving the body forward, while inhaling, straighten the arms and move the neck backward. Keep the toes together and the heels facing up. Keep your waist down.
- While exhaling, lift the body back upwards and allow the ankles to touch the ground. The head should be down and the waist part should remain upwards (ie again like the fifth position). Stay in this position for as long as possible.
- Like in the fourth position, while inhaling, bring the right leg forward between both the hands, now neck back, waist down, stay in this position as much as possible.
- As in the third position, while exhaling, bring the left leg forward. Knees straight, palms on the ground and forehead on the knees. Wait as long as you can.
- As in the second position, while inhaling, stretch the hands and move them upwards. Neck backwards. Wait a few moments.
- Come back to the first position. Greeting posture. Hands down.
What are its benefits:
- The increase in the emission of carbon dioxide during Surya Namaskar leads to the attainment of complete health, energy and strength.
- The amount of water in the body remains balanced and unnecessary elements get out faster.
- The process of blood purification is accelerated and obesity decreases rapidly.
- Hormone secretion of all glands is regulated. Shaytika Nadi comes in a comfortable state.
- Appetite is good and memory power increases.
- The hair on the scalp is healthy and strong.
- The aura of the face increases.
It is considered best to do Surya Namaskar at sunrise. Do this asana at a slow pace. Only those people who want to reduce obesity should do Surya Namaskar fast. Proceed to the next step only after the breath becomes comfortable at the end of each step. Do not do this asana on a soft and over-padded mat or bed so that the vertebrae of the spine are protected. Surya Namaskar is prohibited for patients with slip disc and high blood pressure.